Scotland ranks highly for Medical training
Scotland performs strongly for the quality of its medical training, a GMC UK-wide survey of 70,000 doctors reported today. Overall satisfaction among trainees was higher in Scotland than in the other UK nations.
The national training survey paints a comprehensive picture of how those workplace experiences are impacting those in training and their trainers. Across the UK, overall satisfaction increased. Trainees are also significantly more positive about innovations introduced to support training recovery after the pandemic.
Key findings for Scotland included:
- Overall satisfaction among trainees was higher in Scotland than in the other UK nations (Scotland 78.61%, England 77.49%, Wales 77.07%, N Ireland 76.06%)
- 87.54% of Scottish trainees were positive about their clinical supervision, compared to the UK average of 86.16%
- 85% of Scottish trainees had a good experience in their post, compared to the UK average of 82.62%
- NHS Education for Scotland (NES), which oversees the training, has 31 programmes ranked number 1 in the UK for overall satisfaction.
- NES have increased the number of training sites on the high performers list (top 2%) across the UK based on post to from 17 to 21 this year
NES Executive Medical Director Professor Emma Watson said:
“This is a testimony to the hard work put in across Scotland at all levels – the trainers, trainees, the educators and everyone who supports them. Scotland is an excellent place for doctors to train and to work.
“However, there’s much more to do, and we are actively addressing many areas. We are always working with local teams to raise performance, so we can deliver excellence across the board.
“We also want to make sure that the environment that people work and learn in is an encouraging one. While a large proportion of trainees told us that they haven’t experienced discriminatory behaviours, any level of discrimination is unacceptable, and we’ll be working closely with partners to address this important issue.”
July, 11 2023