This website places cookies on your device to help us improve our service to you. To find out more, see our Privacy and Cookies statement.

Skip to page content

Healthcare Science

Clinical Physiologists

Since the introduction of the NES Healthcare Science work stream, our strategy for Clinical Physiology has been to direct support to NHS service.

Updated 03-07-18

2019  support to service for year 1 clinical physiology practitioner trainees - Link

Employment opportunities for prospective trainees are advertised on The NHS Scotland recruitment website "Health Science Services" Link

A Clinical Physiology programme in Scotland is available from Glasgow Caledonian University with Glasgow Kelvin College of Further Education. The programme involves block release of salaried NHS practitioner-level trainees. The programme is largely work-based with 2 days/week term-time academic contact. The practitioner programme is 4 years in duration and covers audiology, cardiac, neuro and respiratory physiology training. Intakes from 2015 onward are eligible to join on graduation the Academy for Healthcare Science PTP accredited register as the programme is recognised for PTP equivalence.

Some audiology training is offered at Queen Margaret University including: a 2 year fast-track postgraduate pre-registration masters route, which is not NES-funded, and a work-based assistant practitioner programme for HCPC Hearing Aid Dispenser.


At present Clinical Physiology practitioners are not subject to statutory regulation

Practitinoer-level clinical physiologists may register with the Registration Council for Clinical Physiology OR with the  AHCS Academy for Healthcare Science Practitioner Register

Registered  physiologists with masters-level or equivalent experience may register also as clinical scientists via AHCS equivalence or with the Association of Clinical Scientists. 

Further infromation is available from our link Clinical Scientists