You Try It - Motivational Interviewing
Listen to both these clips and identify which best demonstrates good motivational interviewing.
(As this page contains video content, it may take a few moments for both videos to load onscreen).
Which scenario do you think is more likely to help the customer in a quit attempt. Please explain your reasons why.
Type your response in the box provided below, then click Submit.
Compare your answer with our response.
You answered:In the first scenario, the pharmacist:
- Is more likely to help the customer in their quit attempt.
In the second scenario, the pharmacist:
- Doesn�t readily give information to the individual � they have to stop and ask for more information.
- Is very direct and authoritarian and doesn�t seem to understand the concept of empathy.
- Looks bored and distracted, doesn�t maintain eye contact when the person is speaking.
- Is not actively listening, frequently interrupting to bombard the customer with solutions rather than trying to form a partnership.
- Does not demonstrate empathy, due to a lack of positive non-verbal reactions.
- Looks disorganised, not knowing where to find suitable leaflets and products.