Scotland GP Returner Programme
The Scotland GP Returner Programme provides an opportunity for General Practitioners (GPs) who are on (or eligible to be on) the General Medical Council’s (GMC) GP Register and are eligible to be on a NHS Performers’ List and who have previously worked in NHS General Practice to safely return to General Practice following a career break of at least two years or time spent working abroad.
Breaking News: 1 year free membership of RCGP for GPs doing the Returner Programme
GPs who qualified in the UK via the MRCGP exam route or have ever been a member of the RCGP via another route, who are on the Scotland GP Returner Programme, will be entitled to one year Full Membership for free. This includes all benefits of full membership except the hard copy of BJGP, which will be available electronically. All you need is proof of registration on the Scotland GP Returner Programme.
What happens if I am interested in applying?
Firstly, you need to apply to join the Health Board Performers’ List. Depending on your experience and circumstances the Health Board Medical Director may decide to include you immediately on the Performers’ List. If you have been out of clinical general practice for more than 2 years then he will refer you to the NES GP Advisor for guidance and on opinion about your eligibility for the GP Returner Programme.
The NES GP Advisor will undertake a structured review of your clinical work, training and CPD. This structured interview forms an educational assessment. If it is concluded that you are eligible and would benefit from the GP Returner Programme then a suitable placement for up to six months, in an approved GP practice will be identified. Formative assessments, during this placement, will include a video analysis of consultation skills, a test of knowledge (RCGP PEP) and work place based assessments.
At the end of the programme, the supervisor will make a recommendation to the Medical Director of the Health Board in relation to suitability for independent practice.
Am I eligible for the Scotland GP Returner Programme?
The following are the eligibility criteria to be considered for the programme
- You must have a Certification of Completion of GP Training by a competent authority (or equivalent)
- You must be fully and currently registered with the GMC with a license to practise and on the GP Register
- You must not have been working in clinical General Practice for the preceding two years
- You must establish your eligibility to be included on the Scotland Performers’ List through contact with the Health Board Performers List Administrator. If this is conditional on satisfactory completion of the Returner Programme, then the Health Board Medical Director/ Performers’ List administrator must convey this opinion to the local NES Advisor.
- You must have a commitment to be domiciled in and work in NHS General Practice in Scotland
- You must be on the GMC GP Register, without GMC conditions or undertakings (except those relating solely to health matters) and hold a current licence to practice as a GP
What happens next?
There is no entry test however the NES Advisor will want to meet you in order to ascertain that the GP Returner Programme is appropriate and, through an educational needs assessment, agree the recommended duration of the programme.
- Normally those who have been out of practice for more than five years will be offered a six month full-time attachment whilst those out of practice for between two and five years will be offered a three month full-time attachment.
- In order to undertake the programme, you will need to be included on the Performers List “in training for a fixed period” for the duration of your programme.
- Your start date on the programme will be dependent upon the availability of funding and an appropriate GP Practice placement.
To apply to be considered for inclusion on the Performers List
To apply to be considered for inclusion on the Performers List you need to contact the administrator of the Scottish Health Board area in which you are or will be domiciled. Complete the form below to contact the administrator for the relevant performers list directly.
- There were some problems with your form submission:
Thanks for your message! We will get back to you ASAP!